Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Man of Steel

For those of you who read my last post, you know I don't care for Superman. And if you read it early enough, you may have noticed I mixed up Kevin Costner and Michael Keaton. I stated Michael Keaton's name but was think of Costner's work in "Field of Dreams", "Waterworld" and "Dances with Wolves". A rookie mistake, but know that I have already flogged myself for that and hopefully it will never happen again.


"Man of Steel" is a retelling of the origins of Superman, and despite Christopher Nolan's best efforts, he didn't make me like the character anymore. Superman, in my opinion, is a dying super hero. He was great in 1938 when immortality and alien lifeforms were interesting and fun, but immortality is boring now (I apologize for how pretentious that sounded). He's too perfect.

Look at the symmetry in his face!!! He's so darn handsome!!!

Even in this, the "darker" version of Superman, he was a little goody-two-shoes. He never did anything wrong. The thing that makes great characters great is that they're not two-dimensional. They have depth. If they have a code they live by, where they will never do any wrong, something should lead them to do wrong.

SPOILER ALERT!!! DO NOT READ THE FOLLOWING PARAGRAPH IF YOU HAVE YET TO SEE THE MOVIE!

Also, Clark's human father is an idiot. I don't care if the world would fear your son if they see him save a dog or you from a tornado, just let the kid save you, you stupid-head! He could have subtly saved the dog and been back before the tornado hit your car!

END OF SPOILER!

As far as Superman movies go, I thought this was the best (Yes, even better than the old ones). But, again, I hate Superman. So Superman fans might have thought differently. However, no one can deny the greatness that is Michael Shannon! He was the best part of this movie by far! Call me a terrible human being, but I connected with General Zod more than Superman. I thought his reasoning for his actions was totally and completely justified for his character.

He was just trying to save his planet. Exactly what Superman did...
And yet HE'S the bad guy!

My expectations were exactly as I thought they'd be for this movie. I thought I would like this movie except for the fact that it was about Superman.

If only it wasn't about Superman.

My Grade: B


P.S. Superman has the stupidest freaking alter-ego out of any super hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment