Monday, June 3, 2013

Epic

I had a few thoughts when I first saw the trailer for "Epic". I thought "Wow. They're really modest for naming this movie 'Epic'". And I also thought "I can't tell if I like this trailer because of the trailer itself or just the song in it".

That song being the first part in the Snow Patrol song "The Lightning Strike" called "What if the Storm Ends". I know, it's confusing.


"Epic" tells the slightly intense story of a girl who goes to live with her estranged father after her Mother dies. Being obsessed with proving his theory of the forrest being filled with tiny humanoid protectors, he does little to comfort. But when she tries to run away, she finds herself shrunken by the dying Queen of a tiny civilization in order to save the forest from the Boggins. Not to be confused with the Baggins from Bag End. They were good guys.

Although, not without their flaws.

There is the first problem. I feel as though she could have done a better job if she was bigger. But who said Queen's are perfect? Especially when they're voiced by Beyoncé Knowles.

"Epic" is what I expected it to be. A non-spectacular animated film. It had it's moments, such as everything Aziz Ansari's character said, but for the most part, it lacked the heart that a lot of animated movies have.

I mean, they didn't even show anyone's Mom dying.
They just talked about it!

In all seriousness, there isn't much to this movie. It has some funny bits, but there is no heart. The relationship between Father and Daughter didn't really feel different from beginning to end and other such relationships felt forced.

This is a good movie to take your kids to, and it isn't terrible. But it's not likely to be anyones favorite. Though, I've been wrong before.

As always, go see it. Your opinion is more right for you than mine is.

My Grade: C


No comments:

Post a Comment