Tuesday, June 11, 2013

This is the End

This is going to be a hard review to write. I don't want to overplay it, because if I do, it might give you guys an unfair expectation of this movie. While it's hard to say this is the funniest movie I've ever seen, because comedies lose their laughter with each time you see it, I will say that this is the funniest movie I've ever reviewed. It is also the first movie in a long time that made me laugh so hard I cried... for a good two minutes.


In this apocalyptic comedy, several actors play themselves or at least the versions of themselves that TMZ might have you believe (Michael Cera). Afraid to go outside after the world falls apart, they try to keep the last bit of their civilized lives in tact while seeking refuge in James Franco's house. There, they try to figure out what the hell is going on and try to keep their friendships together.

After a slow opening with some awkward jokes, this movie takes off into the hilarity that one would expect from the trailer. It is filled with references from their own work and the actors do not hold back when poking fun at themselves. Which is always refreshing to see.

There is a lot of screaming, hand-holding and hugging. It's kind of cute.

Craig Robinson is definitely the funniest part of this movie. Rarely was there a line of his that didn't make me at least chuckle. He is the person that made me laugh so hard that I didn't stop for about two minutes and eventually started crying.

The great part about this movie is that given all of the actors in it, you just know so much of this was improvised. I'm curious to see exactly what was and wasn't improvised if they talk about it on the special features when it's released on Blu-Ray.

"This is the End" is definitely the funniest movie of the year thus far, and the funniest movie I've seen in a very long time. I can;t wait to see it again to pick up jokes I might have missed while laughing the first time around. Go see it.

There is a little gift to people who remember the late 90s before the credits.

My Grade: A


2 comments:

  1. Not just funny, but hilarious in the way it makes fun of everything and anything. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete