Wednesday, June 12, 2013

I Just Wish It Wasn't About Superman

Arguably the most anticipated movie of the summer or year, people will be flocking to their local theatre to see "Man of Steel" around mid-night tomorrow night. I might be one of them depending on how tired I am, but not because I'm excited for the movie itself, but rather, the movie features the work of some of my favorite people in the film industry.

Christopher Nolan is writing and producing it. Zack Snyder is directing it. Hans Zimmer has conducted a fantastic score, which I have already listened to. Michael Shannon is going to be awesome, as always. Especially in a villainous role. Russell Crowe and Kevin Costner are two of the best actors in the past 30 years, regardless of their recent work. But what I don't like about the movie is what should matter most.

I hate Superman.

But... I thought everyone liked me...

Now, I know how he was created. I know he first started out as a bald headed villain by two high-school students who decided to make him a hero and he progressed from there. But this is how I imagine how it may have happened.

Two kids are playing a game of Superheroes and Villains in their back yard. One kid keeps getting the upper hand, so the other kid makes up a Superpower.

"Bang! I got you! You're dead!"

"Nuh-uh! I'm impervious to bullets!"

"I used a catapult to throw a boulder at you! You're dead!"

"Nuh-uh! I have Super Strength and I caught it!"

"You can't get me! I'm behind this building!"

"Nuh-uh! I can jump over buildings!"


"I threw you off a sky scraper!"

"Nuh-uh! But I can fly!"

"I have your ball!"
"Nuh-uh! I have the power to make you give it back! Or I'm telling my Mommy!"

And on and on! The dude has pretty much every Superpower! Nothing can hurt him except for Kryptonite which can only rich people know how to get. He is virtually immortal. That takes all suspense out of scenario.

I haven't enjoyed any Superman movie. Yes, even the originals. Couldn't even finish them. The filmmakers of them don't put enough doubt in my mind that everything will be ok. Take "The Avengers" for example. We all knew no one major would die in that movie. But they built up enough doubt in your mind that when Tony Stark went into that worm hole, you had a slight feeling that it wasn't going to end well. That's all that needs to happen. No one has gave me any doubt that Superman might not be OK.

All of this being said, If anyone is going to be able to do that with Superman, it's Christopher Nolan. That dude will kill off anyone if it makes the story better. And I love it when a movie proves my expectations wrong for the better.

I hope I'm wrong.

"Man of Steel" Officially opens up this Friday June 14th, with mid-night screenings nation wide tomorrow.

And this is still one of the Best Trailers I've ever seen. I just hate Superman so much!!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment