Monday, May 6, 2013

Place Beyond the Pines

Dear Evan Woss,

I'm so sorry I've abandoned you as your movie guru. But sometime in life, a father hamster must eat his own son hamster to make sure that he isn't held back from achieving his dreams...

I know this may confuse you. Frankly, I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about. But know this. I love you. I will always love you. and whenever there is a movie you're not sure about. You can text me. Seriously text me, I miss you so damn much buddy!

Love,
Mike

On that note...


"Place Beyond the Pines" tells three stories. The first two are about two men trying to make things right. One becomes a criminal to provide for his son. The other about a Police Officer who becomes a hero, but feels remorse for what he did to get there. And the third story shows us how their life choices have effected their sons. Ultimately this is a examination on Father-Son relationships, and it is beautifully done. Derek Cianfrance delivers a heartbreaking film about two boys from two very different families.

This movie begins heading in one direction and ends in a completely different direction, but it is done so flawlessly, that it only makes the story even more enticing. Both Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper are at the top of their game in this film, and if it were't so early in the year, I'd say they were in the running for some awards. Unfortunately, the people who give awards have the attention spans of Gold Fish.

"Place Beyond the Pines" is one of the best movies of the year thus far. Go see it, Evan! 

My Grade: A


No comments:

Post a Comment