Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Star Trek Into Darkness

I've never watched the original series. I've barely even seen one episode of "Star Trek: The Next Generation". I am not the type of person who likes campy sci-fi movies or TV shows. I'm sure there are serious episodes. I'm sure most of them are serious. But I have seen too many clips or scenes where it's just a space alien dressed like a cowboy.

"Toy Story" taught me to keep sci-fi and westerns separate
but equal.... that came out more racist than intended.

So it's fair to say I don't know what the hell I'm talking about from a trekkies perspective (Yes, I know you guys hate the word because it's derogatory. But it's a made up thing, so get over it). But I like to think I know a thing or two about movies. And if I had to choose one word to describe "Star Trek Into Darkness" it'd have to be... maj. Which Google tells me is Klingon for "good".


J.J. Abrams second installment to the "Star Trek" franchise brings us back to the U.S.S. Enterprise a few years after the Romulans. And as I keep reminding myself that Star Trek has a lot of made up words involved and to just ignore the "misspelled" made up races of the Star Trek Universe, may I also remind you that J.J. Abrams made an alternate Universe of Star Trek. That means your precious characters might be slightly different in this series of movies. And that's ok! There are an infinite number of alternate universes. That means there is a Universe where I am a giant taco and I am typing this on my laptop made out of humans.... just let that sink in.

No les gusta esta.
Also, "Mochilla" is Spanish for backpack... The more you know! 
Yes, I know it's really "Mochila", but I'm had already paid for the domain name 
by the time I figured it out... it's too late.... Plus two L's looks better... 
'MURICANS ARE ALWAYS RIGHT!!!

I love J.J. Abrams take on Star Trek. As much as die hard Trekkies might hate it, he has expanded the audience demographic ten-fold by doing what he has done. And at it's very core, Star Trek has some great things that I feel everybody should enjoy. That's what makes his series great. He takes the great stuff from the original Star Trek and shares it with the rest of the world who otherwise may not have ever seen it.

Maybe I'm easy to please, but I feel most people are too harsh on directors that make movies that already have a fan base. No one will ever get you interpretation of a show or a book 100% correct. The only way for that to happen is for you to make that yourself. And as YouTube has shown us, contrary to what EVERYBODY believes, making a good quality movie cannot be done by everyone.

All in all, "Star Trek Into Darkness" was a great movie. Was it as good as the first of J.J. Abrams'? No. Not in my opinion. But it was definitely a great follow up, and will keep you at the edge of your seat. Plus, Benedict Cumberbatch is better than you.

Does anyone else feel like he's planning to eat you?
No? Just me? OK.

My Grade: A-


No comments:

Post a Comment