Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Jurassic Park 3D


Nothing is quite as satisfying as seeing movies you love, but weren’t old enough to see on the big screen, well… on the big screen. For me, it was a dream come true to see “Jurassic Park” in IMAX.



Released in 1993, I was almost four years old when this was released. And lucky for many movie-goers, my parents were not like those douche-bags who take kids who are way to young to be seeing the movie they are seeing and disturb the entire audience by crying every time a person gets their faced ripped off!

Did anyone else think this guy was taking a dump
when they were kids?

But when that movie was released on VHS, I tore that shit up! I had to have watched it at least fifty times. Hell, it even inspired me to become a paleontologist. Then I found out movies weren’t real and spiraled into deep depression.

But surely, the Power Rangers must be real.
Please. I can't stand another broken heart.

Seeing it on IMAX did not disappoint. Seeing the great size of the T-Rex, the sheer speed of the Raptors and the extreme bad-ass-ness that is Jeff Goldblum on the big screen was very nostalgic for me.

“Jurassic Park” is one of Spielberg’s greatest films and hardly needs a giant screen to be considered so. The pure majesty that one feels when Dr. Grant, Dr. Sattler and Dr. Malcolm feel when they first lay eyes on the brachiosaurus for the first time is unforgettable.

And even today, in a time post James Cameron’s “Avatar”, the special effects still are surprisingly realistic. I believe the way they went about creating the dinosaurs is the way all CGI should be handled. And that is “build scale robots of the dinosaurs and only use CGI when it is absolutely necessary. Computer Animation is used far too much in today’s industry, and because of that, Special Effects have become a lost art.

This film was and is a classic. It became a classic the second it hit the silver screen. And that is because everyone has some infatuation with dinosaurs. And if you say you don’t, you’re a dirty no-good liar.

My Grade: A


No comments:

Post a Comment