Friday, July 19, 2013

Stoker

South Korean films are a lot of things, but if I had to narrow them down to two, it would be f'ed up and insanely good! Perhaps that's just the films that were popular enough to be shown over seas, but that's how I see them for now. And one man stands in the forefront of the f'ed up and insanely good category. "Oldboy" director Chan-wook Park. And his first English speaking film continues with that pattern for the most part.


Wow, what? Opening a trailer with something so intense is simply perfect! There is no beating around the bush here. They are telling you exactly what this movie will be like from the very beginning. "Stoker" tells the story of a teenage girl named India, who's father dies on her 18th birthday. At the funeral, her Uncle whom she'd never met until that day shows up and stays at their house for a while. Things, while already creepy from the first shot of the movie, begin to get creepier as India's mother begins finding herself infatuated with the devilishly handsome Uncle (not on her side of course).

This is one of those movies that reward the patient viewers. While it keeps you tied in from the opening shot with it's spectacular cinematography, the story slowly reveals what is going on and is often times confusing. But it all comes full circle in the end.

I love movies that do that. I forget who said it, and a quick Google search didn't help me at all, if you know who said it, comment below, it could have been Hitchcock, but I heard a saying that went "suspense isn't about what you show the audience. Suspense is about what you don't show them". That is the perfect way to describe this movie. Throughout the entire film, it seems as if they are showing you meaningless information, but for the patient viewers that stick around, everything becomes oh so clear and oh so fantastic.

I was expecting Dr. Manhattan to appear throughout most
of the movie, but he didn't. Mind Blown!

This is definitely the kind of movie you have to watch again to see what you've missed. I've only watched it once, but I'm sure I've missed a lot of information and hints. Things that could have been hidden in the music and sound effects that I missed because I was watching it at 4 AM on very quiet with subtitles because everyone was asleep. I really need to move out of my parents house.

Everyone in this movie was so intense, and so great. Matthew Goode was especially Goode (Yeah, I did it!). He was the perfect blend of creepy and charming. But look at that face. The latter wasn't hard for him at all, was it?

My Grade right now: B+. It could go up the more times I watch it. Great movie.


Also, do yourself a favor and watch the original "Oldboy" before that stupid Spike Lee version comes out.



No comments:

Post a Comment