Sunday, May 20, 2012

Battleship: Not Completely Terrible

Before I continue, I would not say that Battleship, by any means, is a good movie. It is, however, a very fun movie. And yes, there is a difference.


Loosely based on the HASBRO board game, and I cannot emphasize "loosely" enough, Battleship tells the story of a loose cannon Naval Lieutenant who finds himself head of his ship when the captain dies during an attack by Alien spaceships. Directed by Peter Berg (The Kingdom, Hancock), Battleship is everything you would expect from a summer movie. The least amount of story necessary, explosions, and a pretty woman.

The beginning of the film feels like 3 different movies. Although, quite enjoyable, tit doesn't seem to flow as well as a $200 million movie should. It goes from the main story of how the government contacted the aliens, to Hopper, played by Taylor Kitsch (Friday Night Lights, Wolverine), being drunk and breaking into a gas station, to a Top Gun volleyball-scene-style soccer game, to finally, the main story and plot line.

I understand that this was all character development. But it felt forced and not in touch with the rest of the movie. That being said, they were all very entertaining sequences. But they were not necessary.

One thing I found to be awesome is that the man they got to play a double amputee Army Lieutenant is Colonel  Gergory D. Gadson, who is a double amputee who served the United States Army in Several Wars.

Overall, the movie was very enjoyable. I was pleasantly surprised. When I first saw the trailer, I thought it would be terrible. The only thing going for it, in my opinion, was Liam Neeson. It exceeded my expectations, but not much more.

I wish I could have made this review better. But, alas, I don't have much to say about this movie.

My Rating: C


No comments:

Post a Comment