Sunday, November 17, 2013

Europa Report

Sometimes, writing movie reviews for free every time I see a new movie (at least 4 times a week… at least) is tiring. It becomes a chore that I feel I need a long break from so I can enjoy movies without worrying about what I'll say while watching it. And then, there comes a movie that I just have to share with everyone I know, and that kicks my review writing back into overdrive.

"Europa Report" was that movie this time.


"But, Mike--" you ask, "why did you decide to do it for a movie extremely similar to 'Gravity', but not do 'Gravity' itself? It was awesome!"

Well I'll tell you, random reader! Everyone and their Grandmother's saw "Gravity". And deservedly so. That was a fantastic film. Probably one of the best this year. And anyone who disagrees wasn't paying attention. But "Gravity" didn't need my help to bring it viewers. It has been going strong in theaters. "Europa Report", for one, is out of theaters. And two, very few people saw it. So if I can introduce even one person to it through this blog, I feel I would have done my job.

"Europa Report" isn't your average "found footage" film. It is done through the style of a documentary about a privately funded mission to land on Jupiter's moon Europa and try to find life. Unlike most films like this, it isn't in it for the cheap scares and thrills.

"Europa Report" is filled with emotion and character development that attaches you to the characters you are introduced to and makes you feel for them in every single way. And no character does a better job at this than James Corrigan played by the vastly underrated, Sharlto Copley ("District 9", "Elysium"). With the film opening with Copley's character recording a message for his family, you immediately feel his home-sickness which adds to the feeling of claustrophobia.

Seeing someone in an Astronaut suit gives me anxiety,
even when they're still inside the ship.

Contrary to the trailer, I wouldn't consider this film a horror film, but rather a Sci-Fi thriller. Nothing really horrifying happens, but there is a lot of suspense and a lot of emotion throughout. To everyone that complains that there is nothing to watch on Netflix, open your eyes. There are plenty of hidden gems like this throughout their instant-watch inventory.

My Grade: B



No comments:

Post a Comment