Sunday, June 24, 2012

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

"Some men are just to interesting to die".

That is the theme of the book Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. But that theme is lost in its translation to screen. I still really enjoyed it. It was just different. But I realized something after pondering on the movie for a few minutes after I saw it.

The book is far to deep and filled with character development (I know, hard to believe, but it is) for the average movie goer, and to completely ridiculous for the philosophical thinkers of the movie world. So it puts itself in a pickle. And justifiably so, it goes for the easier target, the action-seeking-summer-movie-goers.


Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is exactly what it sounds like. It is a retelling of history in which the great 16th President is, in fact, a vampire hunter. The vampires or the nation, who mainly live in the south, use slaves to feed off of. Abraham finds himself in a pickle when he seeks revenge on the man who killed his mother when he was 8 (historically accurate... just in case you care).

He soon finds himself under attack from the man he thought he just killed via a bullet in the eye, however, this man is a vampire. He is saved by a man who followed him from the bar named Henry Sturgess. The man trains him to hunt vampires and Mr. Lincoln uses his talent while gaining political popularity and becoming the great man we all know and love!

Now, the book is so different, I find it hard to compare the two. The are both great in their own ways. The book is more historically accurate and has a deeper undertone than its theatrical counter part. But, as I said, the book is to deep for some and to ridiculous for others and just right for a few insane people such as myself. When it comes down to the wire, you gotta make your money back and then some. So, they changed it.

The changes made it a fun, adventurous movie that I feel, those who don't care for history (also known as fools) will still enjoy it. There is a specific antagonist in the film, which is not in the book. Rufus Sewell (The Illusionist) plays a very sinister leader of the vampires known as Adam. Which leads me to believe he was the first vampire. Adding this character made the on screen transition more smooth, since most people don't like films in which there isn't an obvious villain.

I guess, within all of this rambling, I am trying to say the differences made for this movie were necessary. That is what many people do not realize. Not everything is about pleasing the fans of the book (although I was pleased with the movie). The fans of books are just a small percentage of who the studios are trying to target. They are trying to open people up to the movie who have never heard of it before.

I loved the book and really enjoyed the movie. Can't we all just get along? I'm talking to you book purists! It's ok if the movie isn't exactly like the book!

My rating: B




No comments:

Post a Comment